spot_img

ISWAP Militants Kill 23 Farmers, Abduct 18 in Borno State Attack

Featured in:
spot_img
- Advertisement -

Suspected fighters from the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) have killed 23 farmers and fishermen in Malam Karanti, a village near Baga in Kukawa Local Government Area of Borno State. The attack occurred on Thursday morning, May 15, 2025.

According to local sources, the militants gathered the victims, most of whom were bean farmers, and executed them. An elderly man was spared and later alerted the community.

“The terrorists assembled people in Malam Karanti and killed them. Most of the victims were bean farmers,” a source said.

Residents attempting to recover the bodies were forced to retreat after ISWAP launched another attack. The village is known as an ISWAP enclave where civilians often farm and fish despite risks.

“We tried to organise a rescue mission with security agencies to recover the victims’ bodies, but the terrorists returned and prevented us. Many families are waiting for their loved ones,” another source said.

Military Response and Regional Cooperation

The Chief of Defence Staff, General Christopher Musa, visited Borno State on Thursday and assured residents that the military is working to eliminate the terrorists. He mentioned collaboration with countries like Russia and France to deploy sophisticated weapons.

“Mr President has given a directive as to what to do next for us to intensify all efforts, collaborate with all our sister countries around us, because it is the porous nature from there that is aggravating our own issues on the ground,” General Musa said.

He also discussed plans to recharge Lake Chad to enable troops to navigate the area and eliminate terrorists who have capitalised on the region’s economic activities.

The attack in Malam Karanti is part of a series of violent incidents in northeastern Nigeria. Earlier this year, suspected Islamist militants killed 40 farmers in an attack on the Dumba community in Borno State.

The ongoing insurgency has displaced millions and killed thousands, with Borno at its epicenter. The Nigerian military continues to face challenges in securing the region and protecting civilians from such attacks.

Rate, Like 👍, Comment, share this article and Follow us on our social media handles.
guest

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted

Find us on

Latest articles

Listen to the news

- Advertisement - spot_img

Related articles

See more articles

DSS Raids NLC Headquarters Over Alleged Role in Protests:...

Security operatives, allegedly from the DSS, raided the NLC headquarters in Abuja amid accusations of inciting #EndBadGovernance protests. The NLC condemned the raid and warned of a potential nationwide strike.

Gunmen Abduct INEC Staffer’s Wife, Businessman Escapes in Anambra

Gunmen abducted an INEC staffer's wife in Anambra's Ebenebe axis and demanded ₦40 million ransom, as a separate attack left a businessman wounded.

Security Checkpoints, Alleged Extortion Mar Christmas Travels in Nigeria’s...

Travellers in Nigeria's South East region face delays and extortion at multiple checkpoints and roadblocks, sparking calls for government intervention and criticisim of security operations.

Nigeria’s Govt React To Revelation Of Underground Human Organ...

The Nigerian government has reacted to reports of a thriving underground human organ trafficking going on in...

Bandits Kill 30 in Another Kaduna Community Attack

Suspected bandits killed at least 30 people, including children, in a three-hour attack on Naridom community in Kaduna State's Kauru LGA.

Chief of Army Staff Redeploys Top Generals in Major...

The newly appointed Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Lieutenant General Waidi Shaibu, has announced a sweeping redeployment...