Bishop Yohanna Confirms 265 Pupils, Teachers Still Missing After Abduction

Featured in:
- Advertisement -

Bulus Yohanna, Chairman of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) in Niger State and Catholic Bishop of Kontagora Diocese, has clarified that 265 pupils and teachers remain missing following the mass abduction at St Mary’s Catholic School, Papiri, in Agwara Local Government Area.

Speaking in an interview with Channels Television on Friday, Yohanna said the diocese has yet to receive any communication from the kidnappers.

“So far, we have not had any contact with them. As I’m speaking now, we’ve not had any call regarding the abductors,” he stated.

The raid occurred in the early hours of November 21, between 1 a.m. and 3 a.m., when gunmen stormed the school premises. A security guard was shot at the gate before the attackers forced their way in.

According to Yohanna, the assailants initially tried to break into the convent where religious sisters reside but were misled by the guard, who told them the sisters did not live on‑site.

When those attempts failed, they moved to the students’ hostel, firing shots into the air and causing panic. Many escaped into the bushes, but dozens were taken away.

Rising Numbers and Verification

Initial reports estimated that 215 pupils and 12 teachers were missing.

However, after a detailed verification process involving community leaders, security operatives, and diocesan officials, the figure rose to 315 abducted persons—303 students and 12 teachers. In subsequent days, 50 pupils escaped and reunited with their families, leaving 265 still unaccounted for.

Yohanna rejected claims by the Niger State Government that the school operated without proper clearance despite alleged intelligence warnings.

He explained that in 2021/2022, the diocese shut down the school for five months after rumors of a possible attack, reinforcing the perimeter fence and adding security personnel.

“If we could close the school for mere rumor back then, I see no reason why we would ignore an official warning now. This accusation came as a surprise,” he said.

Parents’ Trauma and Security Response

The bishop confirmed ongoing communication with the Department of State Services (DSS) in Kontagora and said police have taken statements from the sisters while compiling the list of missing persons.

“Most of the information we have, I’ve forwarded to the DSS officer in Kontagora. The sisters have gone to the DPO’s office to give their statements. We have given them the details and the names of those missing,” he explained.

Yohanna described the emotional state of parents as devastating. “Of course, they are traumatized and worried. We are praying and hoping that their children will be released. Everyone is traumatized,” he added.

The bishop noted that the incident underscores persistent concerns over school safety in Nigeria, referencing the Safe Schools Initiative introduced after the Chibok abduction.

In response, the Niger State Government has ordered the closure of schools across the state as part of emergency measures.

Rate, Like 👍, Comment 💬, Share this article, Follow us on our social media handles, and Submit your own story to get featured and earn rewards!
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Find us on

Latest articles

Listen to the news

- Advertisement - spot_img

Related articles

See more articles

Anambra Traditionalists Vow to Expose Native Doctors Helping Criminals

The Nzuko Odinani Welfare Association in Anambra State has pledged to expose native doctors who allegedly prepare charms for criminals. During a visit to the Police Commissioner, the group’s chairman, Dikeato Izuegbu, promised full support for security efforts.

Thugs Attack Malami’s Convoy in Kebbi, APC Denies Role

Suspected thugs on Monday attacked the convoy of Abubakar Malami in Kebbi State. About 10 vehicles were vandalised, and several supporters injured. Malami blamed APC supporters, but the party denied involvement, accusing his security aides of escalating the violence.

A Grateful Nation Bids Farewell To Its Army Chief,...

Nigeria's military community gathered in Abuja to pay their last respects to Lt. General Taoreed Lagbaja, who was laid to rest with full military honors.

Imo State Police Foil Alleged Terror Attack, Kill One...

Imo State Police Command thwarts attack by unidentified individuals near Owerri Airport, recovering firearms and IPOB/ESN flag. Police suspect IPOB involvement.

Defence Minister Backs Officer After Clash With Wike, as...

The Federal Government has broken its silence following Tuesday’s altercation between the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, and a naval officer who refused him access to...

US Travel Advisory on Nigeria: ADC, Peter Obi, Timi...

Nigeria's security crisis has led to a US Level 3 advisory and embassy evacuation of non-essential staff. Peter Obi and ADC react, slamming the government for poor security performance.