30 C
Lagos
Tuesday, February 17, 2026

Mail

spot_img

Boko Haram Abducts 6, Bandits Kidnap 26 as Attacks Intensify

Featured in:
- Advertisement -

The Adamawa State Police Command confirmed late Monday that suspected Boko Haram militants attacked Gare Village in Pallam District, Madagali Local Government Area, abducting six members of a family.

Police said the incident occurred in the early hours of the day.

In a statement, Command Public Relations Officer SP Suleiman Nguroje explained that a joint rescue operation had been launched.

“Police operatives, in collaboration with sister security agencies, have intensified efforts to rescue the victims,” Nguroje said.

He added that the operation involves the Nigeria Police Force, troops of the 144 Battalion, and members of the Civilian Joint Task Force, deployed to Gare and surrounding communities.

Nguroje noted that Commissioner of Police CP Dankombo Morris had ordered sustained search-and-rescue efforts as part of heightened security measures across Madagali and other border communities.

“The measures are aimed at ensuring the safe recovery of the abducted victims,” he said.

Madagali remains one of the local government areas most affected by Boko Haram activities. Other vulnerable LGAs in northern Adamawa, close to the Borno border, include Michika, Mubi North, Mubi South, and Hong.

Bandit Attacks in Zamfara

Meanwhile, no fewer than 26 persons were abducted over the weekend during coordinated attacks on two communities in Talata Mafara Local Government Area of Zamfara State.

Council Chairman Yahaya Abubakar told BBC Hausa Service that gunmen carried out two separate raids.

The first attack occurred in Matuna village, where three persons were abducted and one resident killed.

“They later returned and attacked Tashar Kuturu village, where they abducted 23 people and shot one resident in the hand and leg,” Abubakar said.

The injured victim was taken to a hospital in Jangebe for treatment.

Residents reported that the attackers operated for nearly two hours, firing sporadically to instil fear. Witnesses said the bandits arrived on motorcycles, heavily armed, and mounted a tripod gun in the middle of the road to intimidate residents.

“They abducted men, women and children, some were taken on foot, others on motorcycles,” Abubakar added.

Talata Mafara is among the worst-hit councils in Zamfara State.

156 Worshippers Still in Captivity

The Cherubim and Seraphim Unification Church of Nigeria confirmed that 156 members remain in captivity after being abducted during Sunday service on January 18 at Wali, Kajuru Local Government Area of Kaduna State.

Briefing newsmen in Lagos ahead of the church’s annual general conference, Supreme Head Prophet Emmanuel Alogbo said insecurity remains a pressing national concern.

“As we speak, 156 members of our church are still in the den of their abductors,” Alogbo said.

He commended President Bola Tinubu’s efforts but urged the Federal Government to intensify action against kidnappings.

“Nigerians move round the country with fear and panic, as many roads are no longer safe,” he warned.

The church also called for stronger collaboration between government and religious leaders to reach grassroots communities.

Human Rights Concerns

Faith-based human rights group Christian Solidarity Worldwide Nigeria (CSW-N) expressed concern over the prolonged captivity of the worshippers.

In a statement, Research and Press Officer Reuben Buhari described their condition as “distressing and life-threatening.”

CSW-N said abductees, including children as young as five, women, and elderly men, were being forced to sleep in the open, exposed to cold weather, hunger, and lack of medical care.

Chief Executive Officer Rev. Yunusa Nmadu added: “These are vulnerable people exposed to hunger, cold and danger every day they remain in the hands of their abductors.”

He warned that delays in rescue efforts had worsened psychological trauma for families and eroded public confidence, especially after initial denials by security authorities.

Security officials had first dismissed reports of the abduction on January 19, before later confirming the incident after the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) published names of abducted worshippers.

Rate, Like 👍, Comment 💬, Share this article, Follow us on our social media handles, and Submit your own story to get featured and earn rewards!
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
×

Join Our News Channels

WhatsApp WhatsApp Channel Telegram Telegram Channel

Find us on

Latest articles

Listen to the news

- Advertisement - spot_img

Related articles

See more articles

IGP Ibrahim Idris Retires, To Be Replaced By AIG...

As Inspector Gneral of Police Ibrahim Idris clocks the retirement age of 60, there are indications that...

Six Real Estate Marketers Abducted in Ogun as Insecurity...

At least six Lagos‑based real estate marketers have been abducted in Oyebola village, Obafemi‑Owode Local Government Area...

Nigerian Air Force Airstrike Sparks Outrage After Locals Claims...

A Nigerian Air Force airstrike mistakenly hit a mosque in Kaduna’s Giwa Local Government Area, killing at least 23 worshippers. While the military claims they targeted terrorists, locals dispute the account, citing civilian casualties.

19 Killed in Night Attacks on Plateau State Communities

Gunmen launched deadly attacks on Thursday night in Bokkos and Mangu LGAs of Plateau State, killing 19 people and injuring many others. The victims include mostly women and children. Local officials confirmed the attacks, as security forces search for the perpetrators.

Nigerian Air Force Kills 35 Boko Haram Fighters in...

The Nigerian Air Force says it killed 35 fighters in new airstrikes near the Cameroon border. The operation followed intelligence of an imminent attack. With Boko Haram and ISWAP stepping up assaults, violence in Nigeria’s northeast is once again intensifying.

NAPTIP Raids Onitsha Hotel, Nab Traffickers, Rescues 17 Victims

The National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP) has raided a hotel in Onitsha,...
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x