Troops Repel Simultaneous Boko Haram Attacks on Military Bases in Borno

Featured in:
- Advertisement -

Nigerian troops, supported by the Air Force and local security outfits, reportedly repelled a coordinated double onslaught by suspected Boko Haram terrorists on military installations in Borno State.

The attackers targeted a military outpost at Ajilari Cross, on the outskirts of the state capital, Maiduguri, and another major military base in Baga during the early hours of Monday, March 16, 2026.

According to security sources, the insurgents attempted to infiltrate the Baga military base around 12:30 AM, using the cover of darkness to launch a surprise offensive.

Almost simultaneously, another group of terrorists unleashed a barrage of gunfire at the Ajilari Cross outpost, sending shockwaves through the nearby residential areas of Gomari and Bulumkutu.

However, the “scorched-earth” ambition of the terrorists was thwarted by a swift, multi-agency response.

A combined team comprising the Nigerian Army, the Nigeria Police Force, the Civilian Joint Task Force (CJTF), and the Nigerian Air Force engaged the assailants in a fierce gun battle.

The superior firepower of the Air Force, which deployed attack helicopters to provide overhead cover, eventually forced the terrorists to retreat into the Sambisa forest and Lake Chad fringes.

The spokesperson for the Borno State Police Command, ASP Nahum Kenneth Daso, confirmed the development in a brief phone conversation on Monday morning.

“The suspected terrorists attacked Ajilari Cross. Security operatives are on top of the situation,” he said, noting that a full briefing would follow once mop-up operations were completed.

Residents Trapped During Night Prayers

The timing of the attack coincided with many residents being out for late-night and early-morning prayers. As explosions and heavy gunfire echoed through the night sky, thousands were forced to take cover.

“We were very scared; the whole air was taken over by gunshots and explosions. But Alhamdulillah, the situation is calm now and morning prayers have begun,” said Bashir Yusuf, a resident of Gomari.

By dawn, residents reported seeing military helicopters hovering over the Maiduguri outskirts to track the fleeing insurgents.

A Shift in National Security Strategy

This latest surge in insurgent activity follows a pattern of “last-gasp” attacks targeting military locations.

Just last week, the Minister of Defence, Christopher Musa, summoned the Service Chiefs to a high-level emergency meeting to address these “intelligence gaps.

Following a briefing with President Bola Tinubu, the Minister announced that the President had approved the immediate deployment of new military hardware and a total overhaul of the counter-insurgency strategy.

“The Service Chiefs have agreed to change strategy to be more proactive rather than reactive,” Musa stated.

“The President has cleared the path for new technological tools to ensure these criminals have no hiding place.”

While the military is yet to release official casualty figures, security experts believe the success of the Baga and Ajilari repels demonstrates improved synergy among the various security arms.

Rate, Like 👍, Comment 💬, Share this article, Follow us on our social media handles, and Submit your own story to get featured and earn rewards!
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Find us on

Latest articles

Listen to the news

- Advertisement - spot_img

Related articles

See more articles

IGP Disu Sets Up State Police Committee After Confirmation

The new Inspector-General of Police, Tunji Disu, has set up an eight-member committee. This group will handle...

IGP Redeploys FCT Police Commissioner Over Insecurity in Abuja

The Inspector-General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun, has redeployed the Commissioner of Police for the Federal Capital Territory...

Retired Federal Officer Murdered: AbdulRazaq Ajani Killed in Ilorin...

AbdulRazaq Ajani, a retired Controller of Works at the Federal Ministry of Works and Housing, was brutally murdered in his Ilorin residence by four unknown assailants, with the Kwara State Police Command launching an investigation into the tragic incident.

President Tinubu Commends Nigerian Armed Forces, Inaugurates New Barracks...

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu inaugurates the Bola Ahmed Tinubu Barracks in Abuja, pledging unwavering support for the Nigerian Armed Forces and their welfare.

Oil Pipeline Explosion Hits Rivers State Amid Political Crisis;...

A pipeline explosion on the Trans-Niger Pipeline in Rivers State has sparked an inferno and heightened political tensions. Authorities are yet to comment, while questions remain about the cause of the blast in this historically volatile region.

Nigeria’s Govt React To Revelation Of Underground Human Organ...

The Nigerian government has reacted to reports of a thriving underground human organ trafficking going on in...