HomeSportsFootballCAF Bans Players, Fines Senegal, Morocco $1m After Chaotic AFCON Final

CAF Bans Players, Fines Senegal, Morocco $1m After Chaotic AFCON Final

- Advertisement -

Africa’s football governing body, CAF, has imposed fines exceeding $1 million and issued multiple bans following chaotic scenes at the 2025 AFCON final between Senegal and Morocco.

The sanctions target players, coaches, officials and supporters of both teams after protests, pitch invasions and misconduct disrupted the match.

CAF said the punishments were necessary to uphold discipline, integrity and the image of African football.

The Confederation of African Football (CAF) has imposed fines totalling more than $1 million and handed out multiple suspensions in the aftermath of the chaotic 2025 Africa Cup of Nations final between Senegal and Morocco.

The disciplinary measures, announced in a CAF statement on Wednesday, come just over 10 days after a turbulent final marked by protests, pitch invasions, confrontations among officials and supporters, and prolonged stoppages that drew widespread criticism across the football world.

CAF said the sanctions were issued to protect the principles of fair play, integrity and respect for match officials, warning that misconduct at flagship tournaments would attract severe consequences.

Senegal Hit With Heaviest Financial Penalties

According to CAF, the Senegal Football Federation was fined a cumulative $615,000 for what it described as the “unsporting conduct of their players and technical staff in violation of the CAF disciplinary code principles of fair play, loyalty and integrity.”

Senegal head coach Pape Thiaw received a personal fine of $100,000 and was banned for five of Senegal’s six matches in the 2027 AFCON qualifying campaign for “bringing the game into disrepute.”

Two Senegal players, Iliman Ndiaye and Ismaila Sarr, were also suspended for the first two AFCON qualifiers later this year for “unsporting behaviour towards the referee.”

The final descended into chaos after Senegal walked off in protest following a late VAR-awarded penalty to Morocco, moments after a Senegalese goal had been ruled out. Supporters attempted to invade the pitch, while disorder reportedly broke out among journalists and officials.

After a delay of about 15 minutes, Morocco missed the penalty, and Senegal eventually went on to win the match in extra time.

Morocco Also Sanctioned Over Conduct

Morocco’s Football Federation was fined a total of $315,000 for unsporting and improper conduct involving players, officials and supporters.

CAF imposed a $200,000 fine for the conduct of stadium ball boys, who attempted to seize a towel being used by Senegal goalkeeper Edouard Mendy on a rain-soaked night in Rabat, an act CAF said was intended to distract the goalkeeper.

An additional $100,000 fine was handed down for the “improper conduct” of Moroccan players and technical staff who invaded the VAR review area and obstructed the work of DR Congo referee Jean-Jacques Ndala.

Moroccan supporters were also fined $15,000 for using lasers in an attempt to distract Senegalese players during the match.

On the sporting side, Morocco captain Achraf Hakimi was banned for two matches, with one suspension suspended, while midfielder Ismael Saibari received a three-match ban, both for unsporting behaviour.

Appeals Rejected, Image of African Football Questioned

CAF confirmed that Morocco’s appeal to have the result overturned — and the hosts declared winners on account of Senegal’s walk-off — was dismissed.

Following the match, Morocco head coach Walid Regragui lamented the scenes, saying the final had projected African football in a negative light.

The governing body said the sanctions were intended to serve as a deterrent, stressing that disciplinary standards would be strictly enforced regardless of a nation’s football stature or hosting rights.

Both Senegal and Morocco will now turn attention to the fifa-world-cup/" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">2026 FIFA World Cup in the United States, Mexico and Canada. Senegal have been drawn in Group I alongside France, Norway and the winners of the intercontinental playoffs, while Morocco will face Brazil, Scotland and Haiti in Group C.

Morocco is also preparing to co-host the 2030 World Cup and will stage the FIFA Women’s U17 World Cup annually for five consecutive years, placing additional scrutiny on its football administration.

CAF said maintaining discipline at continental competitions remains critical as African football continues to grow on the global stage.

Rate, Like 👍, Comment 💬, Share this article, Follow us on our social media handles, and Submit your own story to get featured and earn rewards!
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Kwankwaso Says Obi-Kwankwaso Ticket Likely In 2027

Rabiu Kwankwaso said a joint presidential ticket with Peter Obi under the NDC is the most likely option for 2027, citing Obi’s popularity in the South and Kwankwasiyya’s strength in the North.

Keep exploring...

Paris 2024Olympics: Nigeria Exits Olympic Games With No Medal

Nigeria concluded the 2024 Paris Olympics without a single medal, despite significant investment and high hopes. The West African nation faced heartbreaking losses across multiple events, with key athletes falling short of expectations.

UEFA Champions League: Man City Breeze Past Slovan Bratislava 4:0 With James McAtee Scoring His First for the Club

Manchester City cruised to a 4-0 victory over Slovan Bratislava in the Champions League, with goals from Foden, Gundogan, Haaland, and McAtee. City matched a 25-game unbeaten record in Europe, showcasing their dominance.

Click Target 💠 For Your Local Weather Update

Lagos
overcast clouds
24.7 ° C
24.7 °
24.7 °
94%
2.1m/s
100%
Tue
28 °
Wed
33 °
Thu
31 °
Fri
32 °
Sat
31 °

Places to travel

Related Articles

Nigeria Wins Bid to Host 2026 CAF Awards and Assembly

President Tinubu has approved Nigeria to host the 2026 CAF Awards and the 48th Ordinary General Assembly later this year. This follows a high-level meeting in Nairobi with CAF President Patrice Motsepe and NFF President Ibrahim Musa Gusau.

Barcelona Slash Madrid to Win 29th La Liga Title in El Clásico Victory

Barcelona secured their 29th La Liga title on May 10, 2026, after a 2-0 win over Real Madrid. Marcus Rashford’s 18th-minute free-kick helped Hansi Flick’s side move 14 points clear at the top.

UEFA Champions: Saka’s Goal Sinks Atletico as Arsenal Reach UCL Final

Arsenal have qualified for the UEFA Champions League final for the first time since 2006. Bukayo Saka scored the winner in a 1-0 victory over Atletico Madrid to seal a 2-1 aggregate win.

Victor Osimhen Targeted by Barcelona After UCL Exit

Barcelona target Victor Osimhen after their Atletico Madrid UCL exit, with Lamine Yamal supporting the decision. The Galatasaray star fits their rebuild strategy—but can they afford the Nigerian talent?

England Beat Spain 1-0 to Lead World Cup 2027 Group A3

Lauren Hemp’s early goal secured England a 1-0 win over Spain at Wembley, sending the Lionesses top of Group A3 in the World Cup 2027 qualifiers.

Arthur Okonkwo Eligible for Super Eagles Debut Now

FIFA has officially cleared Wrexham goalkeeper Arthur Okonkwo to represent the Nigerian national team today. The 22-year-old former Arsenal prospect previously made 10 appearances for England’s youth teams before this 2026 switch.

Captain Bernardo Silva to Leave Manchester City After Season

It has been confirmed that Bernardo Silva will leave Manchester City after nine years, with 450 appearances and multiple titles. As Arsenal lead the title race, his exit could disrupt City's chances of ever catching up.

Ex-Super Eagle Sam Sodje Calls for Urgent Football Overhaul

Sam Sodje declares the current football system a failure.The Detail: The critique follows the Super Eagles' outing in Antalya, Turkey, amidst a total absence from the upcoming FIFA World Cup.