Who Pulled Out the Troops? Defense HQ Probe the Kebbi Schoolgirls’ Abduction

Featured in:
- Advertisement -

All military personnel attached to the Government Girls’ Comprehensive Senior Secondary School, Maga, in Danko/Wasagu Local Government Area of Kebbi State—where 26 schoolgirls were abducted on November 17—are currently facing interrogation at the Defense Headquarters in Abuja.

A senior government official confirmed that the Defense Headquarters had opened an investigation into the sudden withdrawal of soldiers from the school shortly before terrorists stormed the premises.

During the attack, the Vice Principal, Malam Hassan Makuku, was killed, and 26 students were taken away.

Two later escaped, leaving 24 in captivity until their release was negotiated by the Federal Government last week.

Outrage and Calls for Probe

The incident caused widespread outrage, with Kebbi State Governor Nasir Idris demanding answers.

Speaking after a closed‑door meeting with Minister of State for Defense, Bello Matawalle, Idris revealed that the state government had received intelligence reports warning that the school was likely to be targeted.

Security operatives were deployed in response, but he questioned why they were withdrawn just hours before the attack.

“We need to know why they left. We had intelligence; we provided security, so what happened?” the governor asked.

The District Head of Maga, Muhammad Dantani, corroborated the account, saying the soldiers left around 1am.

“Around midnight, I called to confirm whether the soldiers were still at their post and was told they were. But unknown to us, they left the school around 1am, just shortly before the attack began,” he said.

With the army absent, police officers reportedly chose not to engage the attackers, citing their overwhelming numbers and firepower.

The bandits operated freely between 1.30am and 3.30am, whisking the girls without resistance.

Soldiers Summoned to Abuja

The senior government official said the soldiers, drawn from the Army Barracks in Zuru, were summoned to Abuja on Monday for questioning.

“The military personnel who were stationed at the school have been summoned to Abuja for interrogation. We are following the case,” he explained.

A credible security source confirmed the development, noting that the personnel had already reported to Defense Headquarters.

“All the security heads are unhappy with what happened in Kebbi and Niger. Neither the soldiers nor the police did well. But the investigation is ongoing,” the source said.

A top military officer, speaking anonymously, added: “The military hierarchy is investigating the matter, and everyone attached to the school will be asked one or two questions to determine what went wrong. Anyone found culpable will definitely be brought to book.”

Rate, Like 👍, Comment 💬, Share this article, Follow us on our social media handles, and Submit your own story to get featured and earn rewards!
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Find us on

Latest articles

Listen to the news

- Advertisement - spot_img

Related articles

See more articles

NA Disown Alleged Video of Army Chief Threatening Conscription...

The Nigerian Army has dismissed as false a viral online publication alleging plans to forcefully recruit Nigerians...

Benue Community Raise Alarm Over Renewed Infiltration of Terrorists

Makurdi—The Chairman of Agatu Local Government Council in Benue State, Ambassador James Melvin Ejeh, has warned of...

Ogun State Police Raise Alarm Over Rising Missing Persons...

The Ogun State Police Command has expressed concern over the increasing number of missing persons in the state, affecting all age groups. Residents are urged to remain vigilant and prioritize their safety."

Soldiers Eliminate Terrorist Leader, Rescue Hostages

The Nigerian Army has achieved significant victories against terrorism, including the elimination of leader Amirul Fiya and the rescue of hostages. Through coordinated efforts with local forces, they recovered weapons and neutralized threats, while reaffirming their commitment to ensuring national security...

315 Pupils, Teachers Abducted in the Niger School Raid,...

Nigeria has suffered another devastating blow as terrorists abducted students and teachers from St. Mary’s Catholic Primary...

Politicians Turn to NSCDC as Tinubu’s Police Withdrawal Bites

The Federal Government has withdrawn 11,566 police officers from VIP protection duties, redirecting them to critical community...