At least 15 people, including four journalists, were killed on Monday when Israeli airstrikes hit Nasser Hospital in Khan Younis, southern Gaza.
The first missile struck the hospital’s fourth floor. Moments later, a second blast followed—just as rescue workers and journalists arrived.
Among the dead was Hussam al-Masri, a cameraman contracted by Reuters. His live video feed from the hospital went dark at the moment of impact.
Photographer Hatem Khaled, also working for Reuters, was wounded in the second strike.
“We are devastated to learn of the death of Reuters contractor Hussam al-Masri and injuries to another of our contractors, Hatem Khaled,” a Reuters spokesperson said.
“We are urgently seeking more information and have asked authorities in Gaza and Israel to help us get urgent medical assistance for Hatem.”
Journalists Targeted in Double-Tap Strike
Witnesses described the attack as a “double-tap”—a tactic where one strike is followed by another to hit first responders.
Footage from Al Jazeera showed civil defence workers raising their hands in desperation before being struck.
The other journalists killed were Mariam Abu Dagga, a freelancer for AP and The Independent; Mohammed Salama of Al Jazeera; and Moaz Abu Taha, who worked with NBC.

A rescue worker was also among the dead.
The Palestinian Journalists Syndicate condemned the attack.
“This is an open war against free media, with the aim of terrorising journalists and preventing them from fulfilling their professional duty of exposing its crimes to the world.”
Gaza: Deadliest Place for Journalists
Since the war began on October 7, 2023, over 240 Palestinian journalists have been killed by Israeli fire, according to the Syndicate.
Media watchdogs say Gaza has become the most dangerous place for journalists in modern history.
The Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) said the toll surpasses the combined deaths of journalists in World War II, Vietnam, and Afghanistan.
“So long as journalists are being targeted, the truth itself is under attack,” CPJ warned.
Foreign journalists remain barred from entering Gaza, leaving local reporters to document the war under constant threat.
No Comment from Israeli Authorities
The Israeli military confirmed it carried out a strike in the area but gave no details.
“The IDF regrets any harm to uninvolved individuals and does not target journalists as such,” said spokesperson Lt. Col. Nadav Shoshani.
“The IDF acts to mitigate harm to uninvolved individuals as much as possible while maintaining the safety of IDF troops,” he said.
He didn’t immediately confirm who the intended target was.
He added that an inquiry had been ordered.
Rate, Like 👍, Comment💬, share this article, and join us on our social media handles. You can also Submit your own story to get featured and earn rewards!