Nigerian Air Force Kills 35 Boko Haram Fighters in Borno Airstrikes

Featured in:
- Advertisement -

The Nigerian Air Force (NAF) says at least 35 armed fighters were killed in fresh air strikes near the Cameroon border.

The strikes took place on Saturday in the Kumshe area of Borno State. According to NAF spokesperson Air Commodore Ehimen Ejodame, the targets were linked to plans to attack ground troops.

Ejodame confirmed the coordination with soldiers. “Following the operation, communication was re-established with ground troops, who confirmed that the situation around their location had been stabilised,” he said.

Resurgence of Violence in the Northeast

The attack is the latest in ongoing operations against insurgents in northeastern Nigeria. The region has endured more than a decade of conflict driven by Boko Haram and the ISIL (ISIS) West Africa Province (ISWAP).

Both groups continue to launch assaults on soldiers and villagers. Fighters have overrun military bases, killed troops, and seized weapons in recent months.

The violence has spread across Nigeria’s borders with Cameroon, Niger, and Chad, raising regional security concerns.

Though Nigeria’s war with Boko Haram has lasted 16 years, analysts note that large-scale attacks are rising again this year. According to the United Nations, the conflict has killed over 35,000 people and displaced more than 2 million others.

How long can communities endure this cycle of displacement and return? Can the military sustain pressure on armed groups without deeper humanitarian support?

Military Strengthening and International Support

Nigeria is also seeking more firepower to confront these threats. Last week, the US State Department approved a proposed $346m arms deal with Nigeria.

The package includes bombs, rockets, and other munitions, pending approval by the US Congress. The department said the sale would “improve Nigeria’s capability to meet current and future threats through operations against terrorist organizations.”

Analysts believe such deals could boost Nigeria’s counter-insurgency efforts, but warn that without addressing poverty, radicalisation, and poor governance, violence may persist.

For families in Borno and other affected states, life is still unstable. Many still live in camps years after fleeing their homes, hoping for peace that has yet to arrive.

Rate, Like 👍, Comment💬, share this article, and join us on our social media handles. You can also Submit your own story to get featured and earn rewards!
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Find us on

Latest articles

Listen to the news

- Advertisement - spot_img

Related articles

See more articles

Gunmen Kill Miyetti Allah Chairman in Plateau

Gunmen have killed Muhammad Adamu, MACBAN Chairman in Plateau. He was shot at home after breaking his fast.

‘Villages totally burned’ in deadly Boko Haram attacks

At least 12 civilians have been killed in multiple Boko Haram attacks targeting two villages and a camp for...

Nigerian Navy Marks 5 Years Without Single Incident of...

Nigeria’s Navy has recorded zero piracy incidents in five years. At the passing out parade in Akwa Ibom, officials praised the efforts of patrol teams and urged young sailors to stay focused and resilient in their military journey.

Many Killed As Fulani Herdsmen Attack Enugu Community Sunday...

Fatalities have been reported from a gruesome attack at a Nimbo community believed to be perpetrated by...

Nigeria Loses 12 Soldiers, One Policeman Again To Boko...

Troops succeeded in repelling a Boko Haram terrorist attack on a Forward Operational Base at Kukareta in...

Nigeria Air Force Warns Officers to Avoid Politics During...

The Nigerian Air Force (NAF) has cautioned its personnel to steer clear of political involvement while performing...