HomeSportsBoxingPacquiao, Barrios Fight to a Majority Draw in Title Bout

Pacquiao, Barrios Fight to a Majority Draw in Title Bout

- Advertisement -

Filipino boxing icon Manny Pacquiao and WBC welterweight champion Mario Barrios battled to a majority draw on Saturday night at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

The 12-round title bout ended with judges scoring it 114–114, 114–114, and 115–113 in favour of Barrios, allowing the American to retain his belt.

Pacquiao, aged 46 and fresh off a four-year retirement, came out aggressive. He landed 81 power punches and showed flashes of his trademark speed and footwork.

He led on all three scorecards after 10 rounds.

Barrios, 30, rallied late. He won the final three rounds on all scorecards, using sharp jabs and pressure to close the gap. He landed more total punches (120–101) and more jabs (45–20), according to CompuBox stats.

“I thought I won the fight… it was close, but I did enough,” Pacquiao said after the bout.

Barrios responded with admiration: “His stamina is crazy. He’s still strong as hell, and his timing is real. He’s still a very awkward fighter to try to figure out.”

Pacquiao’s Comeback and Legacy

Pacquiao was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame just last month. He was attempting to break his own record as the oldest welterweight champion, having won the title at age 40 in 2019.

The crowd at MGM Grand was heavily pro-Pacquiao and booed the decision. Many fans and pundits had Pacquiao ahead on their scorecards.

Barrios, now 29-2-2, had also fought to a draw in his last bout against Abel Ramos. Pacquiao, now 62-8-3, said he started training late due to his recent political campaign in the Philippines but still felt strong.

“I want to leave a legacy and make the Filipino people proud,” he said. “Of course, I’d like a rematch.”

Barrios agreed: “I’ll do the rematch. Absolutely. This was huge for boxing. I’d love to do it again.”

Should Pacquiao go for one last title shot—or hang up the gloves for good?
0
Should Pacquiao go for one last title shot—or hang up the gloves for good?x
Rate, Like 👍, Comment💬, share this article, Follow us on our social media handles, and Submit your own story to get featured and earn rewards!
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Keep exploring...

Super Falcons Move from Lisbon to Casablanca Ahead of WAFCON

The Super Falcons held Portugal to a goalless draw in Lisbon before relocating to Casablanca for a final warm-up against Ghana on June 29. As nine-time WAFCON champions, they seek their 10th title starting July 6 against Tunisia.

UEFA Champions League: Barcelona Crush Young Boys 5-0 in UCL as Lewandowski Shines with a Brace

Barcelona returned to form with a resounding 5-0 victory over Young Boys in the UEFA Champions League. Robert Lewandowski scored twice, while Raphinha, Inigo Martinez, and an own goal sealed the win. Barcelona now look ahead to a key clash with Bayern Munich.

Click Target 💠 For Your Local Weather Update

Lagos
overcast clouds
31.6 ° C
31.6 °
31.6 °
61%
3.5m/s
100%
Thu
32 °
Fri
30 °
Sat
31 °
Sun
32 °
Mon
29 °

Places to travel

Related Articles

Music Icon Portable Dares Anthony Joshua to a Boxing Fight for ₦1bn

Controversial singer Portable has challenged world heavyweight star Anthony Joshua to a boxing bout for a ₦1 billion purse. Joshua recently returned from a 15-month hiatus after a fatal crash.

National Boxing Week Opens in Lagos March 1–6, Diaspora Boxers Arrive

The Nigeria Boxing Federation (NBF) has confirmed the arrival of several foreign-based Nigerian boxers...

Tyson vs Mayweather Set for Boxing Clash in Congo

An exhibition showdown between boxing icons Mike Tyson and Floyd Mayweather Jr. is tentatively...

Fellow Nigerian, Ibeh, Challenges Joshua: “I’ll Stop Him”

Nigerian-born heavyweight Kingsley “The Black Lion” Ibeh has publicly challenged former world champion Anthony...

Tyson vs Mayweather: Exhibition Fight Set for 2026

Mike Tyson and Floyd Mayweather have agreed to an exhibition fight in 2026. Tyson called the bout shocking, while Mayweather promised it would be…

Two Boxers Succumb to Brain Injuries Following Bouts in Japan

Two Japanese boxers, Shigetoshi Kotari and Hiromasa Urakawa, tragically died from brain injuries sustained during fights on the same night in Tokyo. The World Boxing Organization mourned their loss and expressed condolences. In response, the Japanese Boxing Commission announced a reduction...

Usyk Knocks Out Dubois to Regain Undisputed Heavyweight Title

Oleksandr Usyk knocked out Daniel Dubois in Round 5 at Wembley Stadium to reclaim the undisputed heavyweight title. The 38-year-old Ukrainian outclassed Dubois with speed and precision, unifying all four major belts and solidifying his place among boxing’s all-time greats.

Date For Usyk and Dubois Explosive Heavyweight Showdown at Wembley Fixed For July 19

Oleksandr Usyk and Daniel Dubois are set for a thrilling rematch at Wembley on July 19. With all major heavyweight titles on the line, who will emerge victorious?